Who We Are
This is a place of acknowledgement and fair access, achievement and personal attention – a special blend of a caring, nurturing environment sets VIU apart from other universities. It’s an essential ingredient for a values-based education that creates an environment balancing academic accomplishments with the goal of developing students’ social and relationship skills to last a lifetime, make a difference, and model others to do the same. In doing this, VIU is making an invaluable contribution to much stronger and healthier communities and a better world.
Students and alumni tell us all the time how VIU’s small classes and caring support from faculty and staff have made a difference for them in finding success in their studies. The attention to every student’s needs goes far beyond a number. The result? Students have the opportunity to become graduates who are confident, motivated and prepared to take on the world as they step into future careers.
900 Fifth Street,
900 Fifth Street
Located on the traditional territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation, VIU’s main campus in Nanaimo hosts an ocean-view campus, spanning 92 scenic acres, including lush stands of forest and Japanese gardens. Walk nature trails located a few minutes from campus on foot or take a quick city transit ride to Nanaimo’s harbourside downtown centre for eclectic dining, pubs, coffee shops, and shopping.
Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate Program
Problem solvers can build solutions to today’s challenges through the practical education of an Engineering certificate at VIU.
Get started on your path to an Engineering degree, with your first year at Vancouver Island University. Small classes and individual attention, hands-on learning and instructors who care about your success will help you succeed.
The Engineering Foundations certificate acts as a bridge for students to obtain their degree at UBC, SFU, and UVIC Engineering programs. Graduates of VIU’s engineering transfer program gain guaranteed acceptance into second year at UBC, SFU, and UVIC Engineering programs if they meet the required GPA.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Chemistry is the science of all matter - an area of study that is vast, fascinating, and related to everything in our material world. Chemistry touches on every aspect of our lives, and is essential for meeting our world’s basic needs of food, health, energy, shelter, clothing, and clean air, water and soil.
The Chemistry Major in VIU’s Bachelor of Science (BSc) program focuses on experiential learning in small classes and labs. Chemistry students, studying in the Major or Minor, have the opportunity to pursue undergraduate research with instructors who care about their success. Chemistry students can expand their learning with VIU’s state of the art Applied Environmental Research Laboratories (AERL), where they can work on collaborative research projects with private sector and community partnerships.
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies
Visit Program Website
VIU’s Bachelor of Music, Jazz Studies program is so much more than just music to your ears. The comprehensive jazz music program combines academic and performance studies with the latest recording technologies, music production and business strategies that arm you with elite skills to succeed in any and every facet of the music industry.
Vancouver Island University is proud to be one of the leading music production schools, having turned out some of the most successful music makers on the West Coast. Are you our next success story?
Info on All Programs
Areas of Study Available
- Business and Management
- Computer and Information Systems
- Health Related
- Visual, Performing and Fine Arts
- Upgrading Programs
- Education and Library Sciences
- Recreation, Tourism, Hospitality and Service
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Agriculture, Natural Resources and Science
- Engineering and Electronics
- Legal and Social Services
- Construction and Precision Production
- Mechanical and Related
Study Abroad Opportunities
Exchange is your opportunity to have an adventure, earn valuable transfer credit towards your degree, connect with the global campus community and gain a whole new perspective on your education and career. Study in English at one of over 20 partner universities around the world for 1 or 2 semesters and enjoy support from VIU to make it happen. Students participating on an exchange program for one or two semesters will receive the Exchange Award of $2,200, upon completion of their pre-departure checklist. Get connected – Engage & volunteer in international events on campus and earn 15 hours towards a Global Citizens Network Stipend of $500. Explore the options – There are a number of external scholarships and awards which Education Abroad can direct you to, including the One World Scholarship of $1,000-$3,500, with 2 application deadlines per year.
Study Abroad Info
Basic Admissions Requirements
Canadian citizens and those with permanent residence status in Canada are eligible for admission to University Academic programs if they meet one of the following conditions:
- graduation from a B.C. secondary school, or equivalent, with a minimum “C” grade in either English 12 or English 12 First Peoples;
- previous degree from a recognized university;
- visiting student from a college or university (a “Letter of Permission” from the home institution is required);
- a transfer student from a college or university (at least 24 transferable university-level credits completed);
- mature student— 21 years of age (or will turn 21 during their first semester) and has a minimum “C” grade in either English 12 or English 12 First Peoples.
IB and AP Credits
VIU recognizes the International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement Program (APP). Under certain conditions, students presenting higher level credentials will receive university level credit, as follows:
- Applicants who submit IB courses at the upper level with grades of 5 or better, and/or APP courses with grades of 4 or better, will be eligible for introductory-level University course credit. Courses with grades lower than noted will not qualify for credit or advanced standing. See Advanced Placement Program courses.
- A maximum of 30 credits will be awarded for IB/APP courses.
- Where appropriate, specific course equivalency will be granted; unassigned credit will be given where specific equivalency is not suitable.
- IB/APP credits will be noted as such on the student’s permanent record (transcript); however, no grades will be recorded, and there will be no GPA implications.
- Students are not precluded from enrolling in courses for which credit has been granted; however, credit may be applied only once towards a degree, diploma, or certificate.
English Proficiency Requirements
Many programs and courses at VIU, including all first-year English courses, have an admission requirement or prerequisite of English 12, with a minimum grade of “C”.
Acceptable alternatives to English 12 include BC Secondary School First Peoples’ English 12, VIU’s ENGL 067, ENGL 068, or ESLA 050 (Academic Preparation 5, also known as AP5).
Students who do not formally meet this English 12 requirement, but who believe they have obtained the necessary level of competency, may write an assessment test. There are currently four acceptable tests to show equivalency to English 12:
- If selecting the ACCUPLACER, a combined average of 85 or above in the Reading Comprehension and Sentence Skills sections (with individual scores of 65 or above) and at least 5 on the Writeplacer section is considered by VIU to be equivalent to English 12 with a grade of “C”.
- If selecting the Language Proficiency Index (LPI), the combination of an Essay Level of 4 or better, plus a minimum total of 20/40 on the Sentence Structure, English Usage, and Reading Comprehension sections is considered by VIU to be equivalent to English 12 with a grade of “C+”.
- If selecting the Pearson Test of English (PTE), a score of 59 overall and no component score less than 56 is considered by VIU to be equivalent to English 12 with a grade of “C+”.
- If selecting the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), a score of 81 is considered by VIU to be equivalent to English 12 with a grade of “C+”.
VIU begins accepting applications in early October with an application deadline of March 31 for most programs, unless otherwise indicated in the Program Outline or the Program Availability List.
Need help? Contact a VIU Recruiter.
A non-refundable application fee is required for each application. If submitting the application by mail, you may attach a cheque or money order payable to Vancouver Island University. If payment is not attached, we will mail you details regarding other payment options once we have completed initial processing of your application.
Program Type Fee
Master’s (Faculty of Management) $159.15
Master’s (all other faculties) $106.05
How to Apply
Alternately, you can print an application form. A completed form can be delivered to any campus Registration Centre; however, this may result in processing delays.
Within two weeks of receiving your submission, VIU will send you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application and notifying you of any next steps required to complete your application. Applicants are considered for admission only when all required information and documentation has been received.
Entrance Scholarships Available
Entrance Scholarships Deadline
VIU Entrance Scholarships & Awards – Deadline: March 31
These scholarships and awards are available for:
- Current Grade 12 High School students, who will be graduating in the current academic year, and commencing studies at VIU within the upcoming year; OR
- Students enrolling in a full time university or trades program, for the very first time since high school; OR
- Students who have had an interruption of university studies, (more than one year), and will be re-entering full time studies to complete their university program.You must have a VIU Student Number to apply! If you do not have one you will need to first submit an Application to VIU.
- Log onto your VIU Student Record
- Click on Scholarship / Award / Bursary Profile
- Answer only the questions relevant to you and upload any supporting information
- Click Save (this will also submit your profile)
- The final information saved will be used for selections
- Profiles are open for entry from September 1 through March 31
- Information DOES NOT carry over from year to year
- You must update your profile EACH YEAR by the application deadlines
- Profiles are closed to students from April 1st to August 31st for internal updating
Entrance Scholarships Info
Other Scholarship Info
Student Loan Info
First Year Residence Spots
Choosing your space
No matter which type of residence room you live in, you will be part of a supportive environment that’s designed to help you adjust to university and enjoy your time as a student. Residence Advisors, current VIU students who have experience in residences and lots to offer new students, live in each area and are ready to get you to the resources and support that are available at VIU when you need it!
When you hit a bump in the road or need to vent, Residence Advisors can help. They organize events that will connect you with fellow residents and campus opportunities, and help ensure you live in an environment that supports your academic success. The main office of residence also operates a 24 hour a day front desk that is ready to help when the need arises.
Residence offers three styles of rooms:
Traditional Single rooms are offered in our Traditional/Dorm style houses (Alder House and Arbutus House). These rooms provide a private bedroom furnished with a single bed and a desk. All rooms share a bathroom with the unit neighboring them.
Modern Single rooms are offered in our Townhouse and Apartment style houses: Fir House, Pine House, Hemlock House, Yew House, Spruce House, Cottonwood House and Maple House. These rooms provide a private bedroom furnished with a single bed and a desk. All rooms share a bathroom with the unit neighboring them. Rooms may either be located in an apartment style accommodation or a townhouse.
Modern Double rooms are offered in our Townhouse and Apartment style houses: Fir House, Pine House, Hemlock House, Yew House, Spruce House, Cottonwood House and Maple House. These rooms provide a shared bedroom furnished with a two single beds and two desks. All rooms share a bathroom with the unit neighboring them. Rooms may either be located in an apartment style accommodation or a townhouse.
Total Average Residence Cost
Residence Cost Details
Fees for the academic year range from $6,100 for traditional singles and $6,700 for modern singles, to $3,600 for the modern double, plus a damage deposit. Some discounts offered for early payment.
Residence Application Deadline
Apply for residence when you apply for VIU; the residence application deadline is May 1st of the application year. If you wait until you are admitted to VIU to apply for residence, you may not get a space.
How to Apply
Students must apply to be a VIU student and receive a VIU Student Number prior to applying to residence. Start your VIU Residence Application.
International Student Info
Vancouver Island University is a student-centred community where excellence in learning is the primary goal. We welcome and value the contributions of students from around the world who create the rich cultural tapestry on our campuses. Our faculty and students gain valuable international experience through engagement in innovative projects and partnerships worldwide. Our vision is shaped by the ideals of a just, equitable and sustainable global community.
English Language Requirement
To meet the English language requirements for academic programs, students must have completed one of the following:
550 (no section below 56)
88 (no section below 20)
6.5 (no band below 6.0)
60 (no section below 60)
Higher Level (HL)/ Standard Level (SL) grade 3 or higher
Successful completion of University Preparation Level 5
Grade 2 or higher
Completion of six credits of post-secondary English composition and literature with a minimum grade of “C”
Score 5 or higher
English at the O-level with a minimum grade of C or 4